Thursday 3 April 2014

Family Fun at Connect - Neils Blog Part 1

Welcome to my first ever blog, please be gentle!
I’d like to first give you a brief Farley family history.

For a number of years I’ve been a gym member but to say I went on a regular basis might be stretching the truth somewhat. My in-laws had been going to this thing called ‘CrossFit’ and it was all they talked about. In a moment of weakness I agreed to try a taster session and I’ve been hooked ever since. 20kg lighter, fitter than I’ve ever been and I have found my abs (I never thought I had any but apparently they were in there all the time!)

Not much needs to be said about this..... :)

For 8 months my wife Sarah was a CrossFit widow. She moaned about the amount of time I spent there and the fact that every conversation at family gatherings was about WODs (Workout of the Day), PBs (Personal Bests), who lifted what and when and comparing ripped hands!

However… after persuading her to try it out she has now been a member for almost six months and only moans when she can’t get to train four times a week! She also sits and religiously fills in her training diary every session (something the coaches are very hot on to track progress) which when I got mine was a ‘waste of money’ and ‘why do you need that?!’

Sarah in action at our recent Connect Throwdown.
Photo courtesy of RXd Photography
My 12 year old daughter Madi decided that the school cricket team , athletics team and trampolining wasn’t enough so joined CrossFit kids.  She has also recently starting joining us in the adult WOD classes as she is making such good progress.  With the exceptional coaching she is receiving there might be some exciting time ahead. 2020 CrossFit Games here we come!

Youngest and oldest! Madi with Phil C - a 54 year age gap!

My son Leo is only four so it’s frowned upon to leave him at home while we train, so he comes too. That’s the good thing about Connect; everyone is welcome and made to feel part of the family. He has already told me that when he is bigger he wants to lift heavy stuff so it’s only going to be a matter of time before I have another member of the family beating my WOD times.

Well now on to the present and we have just finished HEAVY week by coach Olly and boy did it live up to its name. An awesome week that gave everybody a chance to hit some new PBs. The programming at Connect is done sensibly on a rolling basis that includes light, medium and heavy weeks. This gives us a chance to work on the different aspects of CrossFit such as pure strength, tech work, skills and cardio and allows us a chance to recover from the demands of training.

Sarah took full advantage last week and managed five new PBs in total and achieved her first RX’d WOD. RX’d means performing the workout at the top level rather than scaling to lighter weights or different movements according to personal needs/abilities. The coaches at Connect provide three different levels of scaling each day to allow everyone to participate safely and progress at their own rate. This is not bad for someone who a year ago would have had to be dragged into the box kicking and screaming! She wasn’t the only one though. PBs were dropping like flies. There is nothing like getting a new PB and when you can share it with others it makes the experience even better.

I feel I’m very lucky to be training at the best place with the best coaches you can ask for PLUS I get to do it with the people closest to me. Joining Connect was one of the best things I’ve done and over the next few months I shall be sharing our progress and goals.


When you join Connect you’re not just a member of a gym you’re a member of the family and I’m proud for my family to be part of it.

Neil Farley

Look out for more posts from Neil about his CrossFit journey over the coming months.

No comments:

Post a Comment